Sunday, November 21, 2010

Time to Move

It has been quite a while since I've last blogged but today the mood hit me to take a few minutes out of my day and write. Because we are an Army family it's no surprise, we're moving!

This current tour we are on was only supposed to be for 2 years so we knew it was short term. We have only been here a year and a half, but that's typical. It's okay with us this time because we get to go back to Oregon where we have a home, family and friends. So for that we are so thankful and excited.

Whenever you get to a new place it seems like it takes at least a year for it to feel like home. You move, have some great family time because you don't know a soul, and then you start to create a life. I think this process is sped up some for military people because we don't have time to take friendships slow, we have to embrace each other and make the best life we can, while we can.

Every time we have moved, I have had mixed feelings. We are always ready for the next adventure, but it's hard to leave our new friends. Now that we have three kids, it's even harder. The kids have one set of grandparents in Oregon so they are really excited to be near them again, but I don't think it's sunk in yet, that they will miss their friends here.

For me there are days I'm so thrilled I can't stand it, and then I think of some of the wonderful people we have met here in Colorado, and I am a little saddened. I guess you always miss your military family, but the truth is that they will eventually move also, and they understand.

The ones that tear at your heart are the friends that are not military. They have a life in this community and they have let us into it. For me there is some guilt, and sadness about it all. I know that my oldest son's friends will miss him, and he will miss them too.

It's a blessing to have such wonderful people who embrace you and your kids for the time you are here. We will stay in touch with as many of our friends as possible and look forward to our new adventure back in Oregon!

Now let the madness of moving begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment