Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Spring break trip to Portland

Well I should have known this wouldn't be easy, but since when do I do things that are easy. So the husband is driving the kids and I from Colorado Springs to Denver to the airport and about a half hour into our drive, traffic comes to a hault! My husband hops out of the car to go chat with a trucker up ahead and get the scoop. We find out it's a 10 car pile up on I25 and the interstate is shut down........ahhhhh! So Wyatt, my husband is sure that he can find the way because the trucker showed him a map....Help I'm thinking and of course we forgot the GPS in my husbands car! So we back up off the interstate and proceed to a dirt road that has NO signs....I'm sure we're lost I'm saying in my head, because I don't dare say it out loud this is the only hope we have of making it to the airport on time!

To my shock and surprise we do make it in a round about kind of way, back to I25 however it's not without suffering because now the kids are hollering "are we there yet" and our baby has been crying for the past hour.

I'm pretty sure that I after the detour and total travel time of over 2 1/2 hours, that we are not going to have a good flight to Portland. So my husband parks in short term parking and we have to high tail it to the terminal. I'm not sure but I think it was about 2 miles away so now the kids are really aggravated with us. We get there with about an hour until wheels up. We check in and the agent asks if Wyatt would like to help us get through security......"yes he does" I say and off we go. After the usual security nightmare we get to our gate just in time to pee and then board! Did I mention that Wyatt is not traveling with us?

So I take a deep breathe and board the plane with our three kids in tow, ages 7,3, and 18 months..... WHAT WAS I THINKING??
The kids were okay most of the flight, I was already sweating from the travels just getting ready to board so now I really was sweating because our 18 month old was not wanting to sit on my lap and that was a challenge for 2 1/2 hours.

It really got ugly when we were about a half hour from landing though. My oldest was crying because his ears were hurting and so after trying gum I paged the flight attendant. She then went to get us some ear plugs, now I"m not sure what good those would do for us, I mean maybe for the people who have to sit near us, but for my son?? Well he thought they would work, so as I am trying to put them in his ears, our baby Ryan decides they look like candy and pops one in his mouth. "OMG" I say and start to pinch his cheeks together to get it out! Finally I do get it from him, but that starts the ball rolling for the never ending (I need a nap) crying fit he starts to have. So after about 25 minutes of that and many glares from the young business man in his polo socks across the aisle, he knocks out and sleeps on my shoulder for the last few minutes of the flight(it figures). Now I've decided that people who glare at you on a plane have NEVER had kids, or never traveled with them. It's not like I enjoy listening to the screaming and carrying on either! So we get all our carry on crap, and baggage and ahhhhh we're here. Let the vacation begin!! hahaha!

No comments:

Post a Comment