Tuesday, May 4, 2010

The Babysitter debacle

Is it really that hard to find a good babysitter these days? Apparently it is! Since we are military and in Colorado where my babysitting options are limited I was so excited that there are two girls ages 13 and 17 that live a few houses away....or so I thought. The names have been changed to protect the GUILTY!!!! Sorry, I digress, anyhoo, I have had both of the girls babysit a few times and the oldest girl,( we'll call her Daisy), was scheduled to babysit for me about two months ago when my husband was out of town. It was a Saturday and I had to get all three kids to my son Aubreys' cub scout Pinewood Derby race from 9-12. Then I scheduled Daisy to watch just the baby Ryan for a couple of hours while I took the other two to a birthday party from 1-3. The party was at a crazy loud place called Itz. It's like Chuck E Cheese for older kids. Anyway, I called her to tell her we were on our way home from the scouting event and she told me she totally forgot about it and wasn't at home. OMG, I let her know I wasn't happy and never asked her to babysit again.

The younger girl, (we'll call her Dixie), has been a good babysitter, and seemed more responsible than Daisy. So I asked her to babysit Ryan so I could work on a school function from 1-3 on Friday. I asked her this last week, and she said YES.

So this week I call her to see if she could possibly stay until 4 on Friday in case Wyatt was running late. She hummed and hawed a bit and then asked me to call her back in five minutes. A little strange, but they are STRANGE so I said, "okay", and I called her back. She said she didn't have any information for me yet, but she was going to a sleep over that day and wasn't sure what time that started, etc etc. So I'm thinking that she can babysit until 3 but not later. I asked her to call me back that evening. Well that was Monday night and today (Tuesday) I still hadn't heard from her. She is home because she is home schooled. I said Dixie, you didn't call me back, to which she replied "oh I totally forgot", and I said "so what is the deal for Friday"? She said that she talked to her mom, and her mom said she could go to the sleepover so she would rather do, that and she was sorry but she couldn't babysit for me.

What the hell? I mean I don't know what came over me but I lost it. She is only 13 so I kept it clean but I was very firm with her. I told her that I really liked her and her sister, and I liked it when they babysat my kids, but she could tell her sister, that I would not have either of them babysit for me again. I told her that when you make a commitment to do something then you stick with it even if something better comes along. I also told her that I asked her to babysit a week ago so I would be sure I had coverage to work on my sons' school event. Then I said the only possibly inappropriate thing, and told her I was screwed for Friday because of this. I told her, her sister had let me down and now she had and I was very unhappy about this.........

About this time I realized she had said nothing, so I said "well have fun this weekend"! and she said "okay bye". So that does it! I guess I felt this girl needed some schooling because the home schooling her mother is doing is NOT working! When I was a kid, my parents taught me that if you make a commitment to babysit for someone you honor it, even if something better comes along in the meantime. Is there no respect and honor in this world? I mean Dixie just told me she would rather go to the sleepover, to hell with the fact she told me she would watch my kid!! AAAAHHHHH!

So my wonderful husband will be taking a half a day off Friday so I can keep my promise to my son Aubrey and the school. It's time for us Generation Xers to school these young pups!

No comments:

Post a Comment